Friday, January 27, 2012

Cajus for you!

My Portugues tutor is loading me down with fruit on a regular basis now. Last lesson she left me with hours of homework and many new words, as well as a bag of caju. Any idea what those are? Well I'll let you know! It's the fruit of a cashew. I guess the nut is connected too, but the caju is the fruit here, and the castanha is the nut part. Toby thought they were poisonous somehow, if eaten incorrectly, and I thought I had heard somewhere that raw cashew nuts were poisonous also. But my Portugues teacher mentioned nothing of poison. Of course, I can't understand anything she says either, so, in hindsight, maybe she did warn me. Here are some pictures.

Oh, and I just looked it up. The shell of the castanha de caju is poisonous. Lena (tutor) probably thought I was smart enough to now chew on the shell.

Okay, well now I'm eating the caju. It's not super juicy, and very... ummm... I don't know how to describe it. It is chalky? Or it makes my mouth dry. I really have no idea how to describe it. But it is tasty. I sort of gumming it down to a mush ball. No too attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment