Thursday, February 2, 2012

Jiu Jitsu!!!!

We're not sure how to spell it. All I know is that it's not Jew-Jitsu. I have met a few Jewish Brazilians though.

Toby has started his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. It seems like a ton of fun (for a guy at least), he comes home reeeally sweaty and smelly with cuts on his hands and feet.

How many of you actually know what Jiu-Jitsu (or at least Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) is? I didn't until I watched. I assumed it was a Kung-Fu fighting, ninja action, HI-YAH! kind of sport, but it's not really. It's more like 'controlled' wrestling. It doesn't look controlled to me.

I usually assume Wikipedia is pretty much accurate, so here's a little description from there:

KAPOW!
HIYAH!

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a martial artcombat sport, and a self defense system that focuses on grappling and especially ground fighting. The art was derived from the Japanese martial art of Kodokan judo (which itself is derived from Japanese Jujutsu) in the early 20th century.
It teaches that a smaller, weaker person can successfully defend against a bigger, stronger assailant by using leverage and proper technique – most notably by applying joint-locks and chokeholds to defeat the other person.

So that seems like fun right? My first thought was "How do you get to the ground to wrestle? What if it's a knockout punch that takes you down. They should teach how to get the guy to the ground first". Well, they do. So I guess they have it all figured out. If only I had known a little Jiu-Jitsu when my Aunt Sarah tickle-attacked me as a kid.

Also, on another subject, as you can see in the pictures, we have no furniture yet. Our boat is supposed to get here mid-February (read: mid-Carnival), so we're thinking we'll get it mid-March. Our great plan was to watch a little TV online (hulu, network websites, etc), but no streaming websites are allowed to broadcast overseas. That means no hulu, pandora, abc, nbc, fox.... Have any of you ever gotten around this? I mean, those of you that have lived overseas? It's not a huge deal though, because we get to look at this every day, and it's not getting old:
"sunrise", meaning when we get outside, around 7AM. The sun is already that high in the sky (oh, it's behind the cloud). Yowza!

No comments:

Post a Comment