Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Our first football game!

Yaaayyoo! We're back in Brazil! And a day or two back we went to our first football game! It's really hard getting used to saying that, not soccer. Why does the US raise their children learning the wrong word for the sport!!! Doesn't the rest of the world say football? I'm pretty sure we're the only country that says soccer. So confusing. I guess it's because we have the other football. That is played without using your feet. Good excuse I guess.

So, the game! It was pretty fun! The stadium was interesting, sort of rustic with cool metal chairs with handpainted numbers (I hear they're tearing it down soon, I'm going after those seats!), clean bathrooms and a really cool workout area/facility/pool. Oh, I guess that's leading me into the names of the teams. Sport was the home team. Creative name, no? I think it's because they play/train at a sport club? My best guess. The grounds are very nice.

Anyway, they were playing Portuguesa, a team from Sao Paolo, I believe, and Sport won. The score was 2-1, so I was okay with that (I was worried I would be bored with such a low scoring sport). Now, I've only seen two forms of soccer: my brother's high school performances, and the Olympics on TV (which I'm super pumped about BTW). So I'm not sure if I was putting this professional team on a pedestal, but it seemed like they weren't super super great. The first goal (scored by Sport) honestly looked like an accident. The ball was on the other side of the field about 80% of the first half, so I think everyone was surprised when it happened. The second and third goals looked legit though. A good game overall, but the most exciting part was the 'youth' section!!!!

They were sooo good! Coordination and cheers like I have never seen in the states! I put a video up at the top of the post, but I don't think it does them justice (you'll have to come down here to see it in person). They cheered literally the whole game (90+ minutes, right?). At one point they all (like really almost all of them, I think it was mostly guys) took off their shirts at the same time and did a little dance with them. So neat.

Okay, I tried to capture the range of emotions we saw, by way of internet searching. I didn't find very great pictures. With the way people were yelling, I would have thought there would have been plenty of finds when I googled 'soccer fan yelling'. Oh well. Rage, horror, agony, shame.... Aren't football games supposed to be fun?


No comments:

Post a Comment